Control Systems Project Engineer
Position Description: Control Systems Project Engineer
Reports To: Control Systems Lead Engineer / Engineering Director
Position Overview: Responsible engineer for the development of control solutions (hardware and software) on a project basis as part of an engineering team. These solutions include turbo-machinery controls upgrades and retrofits in the U.S. and internationally as required. In addition to designing control solutions, this individual has responsibility for working directly with customers, interfacing with the commercial sales team, providing oversight and direction to others within the project team, supporting field work activities (including site commissioning), and working with vendors relative to their project assignments.
- Work as part of a technical team to provide control solutions for assigned controls retrofit projects.
- Engineer and test the control system in accordance with defined engineering and product standards to meet the customer’ s requirements.
- Modify pre-engineered offerings to accommodate project specific requirements.
- Participate in coordination meetings, design reviews, engineering site audits, and customer acceptance tests.
- Participate in commissioning of control solutions at the customer’ s facilities when required.
- Assist with development of engineering standards and processes (written documentation for both customers and internal uses)
- Generate technical documentation including control system design and operation description, project controls and HMI software, project manuals, along with the installation and commissioning plans in support of the overall project.
- Implement use of core designs in all application development for control retrofits
- Develop and provide site-specific customer training in support of projects as required.
- Work closely with engineering management and project team to review specifications as well as develop and justify estimated man-hour needs.
- Assist in development of standard templates and processes to increase efficiencies and minimize re-work.
- Provide technical assistance for field engineering team in support of system installation and commissioning.
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years related experience in controls field.
- Solid control system knowledge and understanding of turbine theory.
- General understanding of prime mover applications including compression, pumps, and power generation.
- Proficient in GE MK V, MKVI, MK VIe programming for turbine controls applications.
- Proficient in Toolbox ST and/or Cimplicity HMI programming applications for GE turbine control applications.
- Experience with industrial requirements and standards (NEC, ISO, UL, CE, CSA, etc.)
- Strong desire to work on projects in a team environment.
- Communicates well at all levels of the organization (both verbally and written).
- Moderate amount of travel (up to approximately 30-50% first year)
- GE DLN Combustion tuningexperience
- Proficient in setup and programming of turbine monitoring / protection systems including Bently Vibration monitoring and Eagle Quantum Fire and Gas detection.
- Field Engineering experience
- International work experience