Principal Engineer E&I
400 N. Linden Coffeyville, KS 67337
PRINCIPAL ENGINEER – ELECTRICAL AND INSTRUMENTATION
Provide advanced technical leadership and knowledge on instrumentation and controls. The engineer is expected to: resolve technical problems, rationalize resolutions, recommend modifications, propose new approaches and mentor less experienced technical engineers.
- Provide safe, cost effective and timely engineered solutions for support of reliability, operations, maintenance, and all other departments within the refinery.
- Provide Technical Instrument Engineering support to the refinery.
- Define/manage/install Maintenance projects, interface with capital group as required.
- Perform engineering studies, advise, and make recommendations for all departments on refinery instrumentation.
- Utilize reliability tools such as failure calculations, failure evaluations, cost analysis and others to evaluate and prioritize action items.
- Perform root cause failure analysis to drive reliability and safety performance
- Assist Operations and Maintenance departments in developing procedures, training, etc. to ensure equipment is operated in a reliable fashion within design parameters.
- Review scope and frequency of predictive maintenance and preventative maintenance activities.
- Specify new and replacement equipment and components and provide technical support for turnaround and shutdown activities.
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor' s degree in Electrical Engineering, or an associated field, from an accredited institute required
- Advanced technical degree preferred
Strong experience in instrumentation and control selection and applications
Knowledge and experience with instrumentation and controls common to refining.
- Supporting knowledge of mechanical and piping systems
- Electrical knowledge a plus
- Direct Related Industrial / Refinery Experience - 9+ years
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and engineering software required
- Proficiency in Asset Management Systems such as Maximo
- Good interpersonal, communication and technical skills with ability to communicate well at levels including Management, Maintenance and Operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive business relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Working knowledge of SPI/In-tools and data correlation technology preferred
- Must have proven ability to troubleshoot and adapt to resolve new problems
- Fluent in English, both oral and written required
- Ability to adjust schedule to meet business needs
- Develop and implement plans and scope for instrumentation projects
- Lead, mentor and train junior engineering employees
- Scope new and replacement instrumentation for purchase
- Direct the work of outside contractors on electrical equipment
- Regularly communicate with supervisor work progress, concerns and questions
- Production maximized with outages minimized
- Improve availability, reliability and performance of I&E equipment through RCFA, FEMA, etc...
- Improve knowledge base of refinery employees through formal and informal training relating to plant instrumentation.
- Manage project schedule, cost and quality control / assurance
- Be seen as a technical leader and subject material expert
- Adherence to all company policies and procedures