1660 W Anaheim Wilmington, CA 90744
Tank Construction Coordinator - Refinery
Our client is a Los Angeles area refinery. They are looking for a Tank Construction Coordinator for supervision of field construction in South Bay, Los Angeles CA area.
This person will be a strong safety performer and responsible for coordination of activities during the construction phase of project execution including constructability analysis, contracting, field coordination, cost control, punch listing, commissioning and closeout.
- Supervise the daily activities contracting companies (5 to 6 per day).
- Assign/delegate work to the appropriate contractor personnel.
- Review and comment on project specifications and drawings prior to construction.
- Measure progress, cost and quality of construction projects, correct deficiencies when necessary.
- Apply the safety programs to personnel working within the control of the New Construction Department.
- Audit (field and office) compliance with the safety program, including contractor orientation.
- Conduct investigations of safety incidents and report findings, apply corrective action were appropriate.
- Review and approve daily work plans.
- Assist in development of a contracting strategy for construction work
- Participate in contractor procurement activities (pre-qualification, selection, job walks, etc.)
- Measure contractor compliance to contract terms, correct deficiencies when necessary.
- Establish appropriate manpower levels for reimbursable contractor staffing.
- Provide periodic updates and other information to the New Construction Manager.
- 5 years preferred / 3 years minimum, a combination of field in construction and/or maintenance within the petroleum refining and/or petrochemicals industry.
- TES (Tank Inspection Supervisor) Certification from API is a plus but not required.
- Relevant construction experience with tanks being constructed to API 650 and/or 653 in one or more of the following industries: refineries, petrochemical,
- Able to lead safety meetings and provide feedback on management reviews on near misses and incidents.
- Have some basic computer skills, word, excel.
- The candidate should have direct experience in the construction and maintenance of piping systems, pressure vessels, heat exchangers, fired heaters, storage tanks, rotating/reciprocating machinery and to a lesser extent, knowledge of the design and installation of electrical and instrumentation.
- The candidate will be expected to read and understand the scope of work as defined by construction drawings, specifications, contracts and verbal interaction with the Project Engineer, the Client Department, and various service organizations.
- The candidate will be expected to interact with various departments within the refinery organization as necessary to execute field activities. A partial list of activities includes work permit administration, quality control, material procurement and storage, and status reporting.
- The Construction Coordinator will be expected to perform the work in compliance with company policies and procedures, engineering standards, and common practices; industry codes, recommendations and standards; and government codes, laws, regulations and rules.
- The assignment involves the coordination of activities of contractor personnel either on a lump sum or cost reimbursable basis. The Construction Coordinator will be expected to understand the nature of the contract as awarded to the contracting company, and oversee the execution of the work in accordance with the contract terms.
- Current projects include double bottom, floating roof, coatings, etc
The environment in which these responsibilities are performed include both field and office work areas, however the position is predominantly (about 80%) a field-oriented position.