Process Control Engineer
Doha, Ad Dawhah 77381 QA
Ras Laffan Petrochemicals (RLP) Project is currently seeking a Process Controls Engineer – Polyethylene to join the RLP Project in Ras Laffan Industrial City (RLIC), Qatar. The Process Controls Engineer is responsible for working with the EPC project team and actively supporting the development and review of the detail designs and procurement related to process controls, control systems, and instrumented systems, as outlined in the project execution plan. This position will also be supporting the project team during construction, commissioning and start up phases of the project.
The RLP Project includes the engineering/design, construction, and commissioning of a petrochemicals complex in RLIC, Qatar to produce ethylene and high-density polyethylene (HDPE). The facility is expected to have a 2,080 KTA ethane cracker with two high-density polyethylene derivative units consisting of 1 1000 KTA Advanced Single Loop and a 680 KTA Advanced Dual Loop with associated OSBL unit.
The Polyethylene Process Control Engineer is responsible for working with EPC project team and providing input to the control system narrative and Operator Training Simulator design for the RLP project. Their actions must be consistent with the project economics and support the project execution plan.
The Process Control Engineer is responsible for providing process control expertise and resources to meet the needs of the project, such as, the control philosophy and design of the process automation systems (PAS). This individual will work closely with the project team, the EPC contractor, and the Main Automation Contractor (MAC)
This individual will assist and ensure the EPC Contractor performs the following activities as required and to Company’s expectations:
- Supports the establishment of the CPChem safety culture in all phases of the project.
- Support Operator Training Simulator Design Development, Configuration, Implementation, and testing
- Support development requirement for interface for Advanced Process Control (APC).
- Support integration of all Vendor packages to automation system.
- Support MAC engineer for the progress of the automation Systems Supplier, including witnessing and acceptance of DCS/SIS FAT and integrated FAT.
- Performs necessary detailed oversight to verify and confirm the completeness of the requirements and tie-ins stated in the FEED Specifications with Company, the respective Vendors, and the MAC.
- Review all P&IDs, Alarm and Trip Lists, Cause and Effect Diagrams, Control Narratives, SIS/ESD/F&G Logic Diagrams, specifications, and documents.
- Participates in Safety Studies such as HAZOP/LOPA, SIL validation etc.
- Lead review for project documents for control/safety narratives and logic diagrams.
- Performs the necessary SIL assignments for all the Safety Instrumented Functions (for Process and Fire & Gas Functions) including that of packages using Company approved SIL assignments. Company shall participate in all SIL assignment workshops which shall be chaired by a Company approved third Party Specialist Consultant.
- Performs Alarm studies for all Process Areas (including packages) with a dedicated facilitator assigned by the company to optimize and rationalize alarms.
- Lead the workshops for AOA and Alarm Rationalization.
- Works with MAC to identify and ensure all the necessary work is completed in a safe, effective, efficient, and seamless manner.
- Participate in pre-commissioning/commissioning planning with project Commissioning Specialist Lead, EPC company, and execution assurance.
- Assist in development of overall commissioning goals, commissioning systems and commissioning/startup sequence.
- Plan and execute Operational Readiness activities: operating procedure development, commissioning procedure development, operator training, etc.
- Assure constructed facility results in safe and operable plant.
- Participate in Design Assurance Team to ensure plant is constructed per design.
- Lead/participate in system walk downs, and PSSRs.
- Ensure that Management of Change requests and documentation are appropriate and that Pre-startup needs are completed.
- Facilitate safe system and overall plant commissioning and startup in conjunction with balance of startup team.
- Assist in completion of licensor guarantee and lender’s reliability tests following initial startup.
- A minimum education of bachelor's degree in Engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in process control/process engineering.
- Experience implementing and maintaining advanced regulatory control schemes, tuning strategies, and cascade control strategies.
- Knowledge of Industry Standards
- Demonstrative ability to interact effectively with internal and external organizations such as the Project Management Team, EPC contractor, Main Automation Contractor, and counterparts in the other areas such as: Ethylene and OSBL.
- Commitment to relocate to Doha, Qatar for construction and start-up.
- Commitment to stay on the project through startup and stable operations.
- Petrochemicals industry experience in Polyethylene facilities.
- Experience working with an EPC contractor(s).
- New asset commissioning experience.
- Operator Training Simulator (OTS) model development testing and support
- Previous HAZOP/LOPA experience.